Monday, May 18, 2009

Delphi, an Overnight Ferry, and Corfu: Days 3, 4











At the current moment, I'm recovering via Internet therapy in my hotel's lobby (free wi-fi, FINALLY) from my rather disorienting, yet very needed, nighttime nap (it's 10 pm here). When my roommates left, they took our only key to the room, which also powers the electricity in our room. Ergo, I would have been in the dark for a very long time had I not escaped to my current locale. Soooo I guess I'll update this little old blog.

Yesterday, we drove three hours from Athens to Delphi (pictures below -- sadly, I am discovering that no pictures do justice to the things I'm seeing here). We had a very enthusiastic tour guide, Penny. All I could feel the entirety of my time there was a sort of silent reverence for all those who had walked on the same steps long, long, longggg before (really, though, long ago). A history like Delphi's echoes in a way that really amplifies the beauty of the natural scenery.

After visiting Delphi, we drove an hour to a restaurant on the beach, and after eating (most of us got Greek salads, but the olives, alas, were not pitted), we trekked down to the beach for some much needed relaxation. All of the beaches here have not sand, but pebbles; and, once we got over how painful it was to walk on them, we sat ourselves along the shoreline. Funnily enough, the boys were the first to go in the [cold] water, and one of them stepped on a sea urchin. I'm still kind of laughing about that.

After the beach, we drove another hour to the port city from which our overnight ferry to Corfu departed. Unfortunately, we had to sit for four and a half hours waiting until we were able to board, and one of the girls got locked in the bathroom. To be honest, at this point, we were all extremely exhausted from traveling (and climbing up the Greek mountain that was Delphi), and we all were a bit cranky. I too was so exhausted to the point of delirium, and the overnight ferry proved to be a rather traumatic experience for me, due to the lack of spoken English amongst the ferry staff (aka, I was trying to get an extra key to my room, asked 5 people, no one understood me, they all started yelling at me in Greek, I started bawling because it was 12 am, a woman working happened to walk by and luckily speak English, she comforted me and then proceeded to ask me what my horoscope was as she handed me the holy key to my ferry room...AKA, closet [...apparently, Libras are sentimental -- who knew that about me?!?]).

We had to wake up at 6 am to exit the ferry, after which we drove about 30 minutes to our hotel on Corfu. Our hotel is all pink. The mosquitoes are really bad here, but that's the only thing. We took an island cruise this afternoon (it was six hours long, and I still feel like I'm on a boat), and neither words nor pictures can describe the scenery we saw.

I'm sitting here with my Fanta, talking on Skype with the girl that I met on my flight from Chicago to Frankfurt, missing loved ones, and basking in this once in a lifetime experience.

Love to all.

1 comment: