Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Favorite Trip Pictures


St. Nicholas Cathedral in Prague, Czech Republic: During our last day in Prague, Andi, Jill, and I went to a classical music concert in this cathedral. It was the most spiritually uplifting experience. Wine was also involved.


Dachau Concentration Camp
: The sky in this photo. It goes without words. It's hard for me to look at this.



Claire, in Heidelberg (Castle)
: Claire has been a great trooper with all of my "photo moment!" impulses. She's a great model!



Me, in Amsterdam: I really like this picture, mainly because, if you look in my right hand, you can see that I'm holding my little beige Moleskine journal, which has been my greatest companion abroad. I would honestly be more devastated if someone stole my journal (or my pictures), than if someone stole my suitcase.


The heaviest and, yet, most beautiful photograph I've ever seen: Otto Frank, Anne Frank's father (and the only surviving member out of the eight who were in hiding in the Secret Annex in Amsterdam, Holland, before their arrests on August 4, 1944 -- Otto Frank survived Auschwitz). I obviously did not take this photograph, but it is quite possibly the most inexplicably touching moment captured on film. This photo was taken in 1960, when Otto Frank returned to the Secret Annex, with the knowledge that all of the loved ones with whom he once shared it would never do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I want to say it's breathtaking, but that implies that it's somehow beautiful (I refer, of course, to the photos of Anne Frank's father and of the sky over Dachau). More accurately, these photos force me to remember that breathing fresh air is not something to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete