Tuesday, July 7, 2009

eurotrip [redux]


One of several ferries that transported us between Greek islands. This is the overnight ferry that took us from a port on the mainland to Corfu, the same ferry on which I got lost and ended up crying to several staff members (language barriers are upsetting in the context of jetlag, apparently). Fortunately, Meagan found me amidst this entire fiasco. Thanks Meag!


Me and Jesus, at Delphi. The two of us were fond of taking irrelevant photos at really formal historical sites.


Jill and me, on a gondola ride in Venice. Claire, Andi, Jacqui, and Meagan were also on the gondola with us. I've had better hair moments than this, and Jill's rain jacket harks back to Paddington Bear. A great photo, nonetheless.


Corfu Island, Greece. Paradise? We roamed on this private beach for a day.


A view of Athens, from the Acropolis.


Claire and me, in Barcelona (Gaudi Park). Barcelona was our last stop on the trip, so Claire and I made sure to take a lot of pictures while there. This is one of my favorites. This area of the park was so gorgeous.


Amsterdam. Love that city.


Meagan, at Versailles.


Amsterdam's Metro Station. Great memories with Claire here.


Claire, at Gaudi Park in Barcelona.

Sagrada Familia, in Barcelona.
_______________________________________

It’s been several weeks since I returned from the trip of a lifetime, and my experience being home has been, well, significantly less European. All of my electronics work in any available outlet. There are actually trashcans on the streets. People don’t look at me inquisitively (or angrily) if I ask them where the nearest internet cafe is (because, wifi). And, fortunately, the American dollar has found its way back into my pocket.

A month ago today, I had just arrived in Paris, France. We checked into Hotel Adagio Montrouge (the best hotel we booked on the entire trip). I stayed with Jac and Claire. The hotel rooms were more like apartments; we had our own kitchen, living room, huge bedroom, two bathrooms, and – the best part – free and fast-speed wireless Internet (which, coincidentally, we hardly used because, um, we were in PARIS and there was shit to be done, sites to be seen, etc etc).

We stayed in Paris for three days, three nights. Visiting the Eiffel Tower was nothing short of spectacularly surreal, albeit windy. It’s hard to imagine ever going back to any of these places without the people who left their footprints next to mine, for the first time. What a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment